Carone Learning Category: Foundations
Recommended Grade Level: 3rd Grade
Course Credit: One semester*
Recommended Pre-Requisites: None
*Full year available when combined with Elementary Health 3, Semester 1
Elementary Health 3 helps young learners establish a basic understanding of the aspects of health. Students focus on the various aspects of their health and how they can make healthy choices. Topics of study include personal safety, healthy behaviors, nutrition, disease prevention, conflict resolution, basic anatomy and physiology, and the values of respect and cooperation.
Units & Sections
This course is divided into the following Units and Sections.
- SEMESTER 2
- Unit 5: Nutrition & Fitness
- 1 Food Groups / Food Choices
- 2 Serving Sizes
- 3 Food Safety
- 4 Physical Activity
- Unit 6: The Body
- 1 Major Body Parts & Functions
- 2 Life Cycle
- 3 Medication
- 4 Health Problems
- Unit 7: Disease & Drugs
- 1 Bacteria & Viruses
- 2 Avoiding Illness
- 3 Alcohol, Tobacco & Drugs
- 4 Drug Refusal Skills
- Unit 8: Consumer & Environmental Health
- 1 Influences on Health
- 2 Evaluating Health Sources
- 3 Consumer Health
- 4 Environmental Health
Each section has the following tasks:
- Game Plan—an outline of tasks for that section
- Lesson—multimedia lessons about the section topic
- Quiz*—answer questions from the lesson
- Brain Exercise*—respond to a health question
- Assignment*—section assignment
The items marked with * should be submitted for a grade.
There are 16 sections in this course. Each section is designed to be completed in about one week’s time. However, students may take more or less time as needed. A recommended pacing guide is provided within the course.
Parent & Teacher Guides
Parent and teacher guides available.
There are no required materials for this course.
An internet connection and computer or tablet hardware is required. Software requirements include a PDF reader, word-processing application (such as Word). Free downloadable software is available for each of these.