Carone Learning Category: Career
Recommended Grade Level: 8-12
Course Credit: One semester, 0.5 credits (5 units in CA)
Recommended Pre-Requisites: None
In Health Careers 1, students explore a variety of career options related to the health care field, including medicine, nursing, physical therapy, pharmacy, dental careers, sports medicine, personal training, social work, psychology, and more. Students will learn about various options within each field, what each of these jobs entails, and the education and knowledge required to be successful. In addition, they will focus on basic job skills and information that would aid them in health care and other career paths.
Units & Tasks
This course is divided into the following Units and Sections.
- Course Introduction
- Unit 1: Public Health & Support
- 1 Health Career Skills
- 2 Public Health
- 3 Support Roles
- Unit 2: Medical Careers
- 1 Physicians
- 2 Nursing
- 3 Emergency Services
- 4 Other Medical Professions
- Unit 3: Health Services
- 1 Vision Care
- 2 Dental Careers
- 3 Pharmacy Careers
- 4 Dietetics
- Unit 4: Social Services & Therapy
- 1 Social & Family Services
- 2 Mental Health Services
- 3 Physical Therapies
- 4 Sports Medicine
Within each section you will find the following tasks to view or complete:
- Section Checklist—an outline of tasks for each section
- Lesson—multimedia lessons about the section topic
- Field Trip—links to online sites and articles with additional information
- Reflection*—a journal reflecting on material learned
- Discussion*—asynchronous class discussion about an assigned topic
- Assignment*—section assignment
- Vocab Check—flash-card activity to aid with vocabulary comprehension
- Quiz*—assessment of lesson comprehension
The items noted with an asterisk above are those that must be submitted for a grade.
A unit exam will be found at the end of every unit, as well as a comprehensive final exam at the end of the course.
There are 16 sections in this course. Each section is designed to be completed in about one week’s time. However, students may take more or less time as needed. A recommended pacing guide is provided within the course.
Parent & Teacher Guides
Parent and teacher guides available.
There are no required materials for this course.
An internet connection and computer or tablet hardware is required. Software requirements include a PDF reader, word-processing application (such as Word), MP4/video player, and Flash player (optional). Free downloadable software is available for each of these.