Carone Learning Category: Lifestyle
Recommended Grade Level: 7-12
Course Credit: One semester, 0.5 credits (5 units in CA)
Recommended Pre-Requisites: None
This course allows students to explore their personality type and interests, as well as refine important skills that will benefit them throughout their lives, including personal nutrition and fitness skills, time & stress management, communication & healthy relationships, goal setting, study skills, leadership and service, environmental and consumer health, and personal finances. In addition, students will explore possible colleges and careers that match their needs, interests, and talents.
Units & Tasks
This course is divided into the following Units and Sections.
- Course Introduction
- Unit 1: Self Discovery
- 1 Discovering Self
- 2 Decision-Making Skills
- 3 Goal Setting
- Unit 2: Healthy Relationships
- 1 Healthy Relationships
- 2 Communication Skills
- Unit 3: Stress & Time Management
- 1 Stress Management
- 2 Time Management
- 3 School & Community
- Unit 4: Nutrition & Fitness
- 1 Nutrition
- 2 Fitness Programming
- Unit 5: Consumer Skills
- 1 Money Management
- 2 Wise Consumerism
- 3 Medical Management
- Unit 6: College & Career Planning
- 1 College & Career Planning
- 2 Employability
Within each section you will find the following tasks to view or complete:
- Checklist—an outline of tasks for that section
- Lessons—multimedia online lesson(s) about the section topic
- Field Trip—links to other online sites with additional topic information
- Reflection*—a journal reflection on material learned
- Discussion*—class discussion on an assigned topic
- Assignment*—section assignment
- Vocab Check—a practice exercise to test your knowledge of vocabulary
- Quiz*—quiz covering information from the lessons
The items noted with an asterisk above are those that must be submitted for a grade.
A unit exam will be found at the end of every unit, as well as a comprehensive final exam at the end of the course.
There are 16 sections in this course. Each section is designed to be completed in about one week’s time. However, students may take more or less time as needed. A recommended pacing guide is provided within the course.
Parent & Teacher Guides
Parent and teacher guides available.
There are no required materials for this course.
An internet connection and computer or tablet hardware is required. Software requirements include a PDF reader, word-processing application (such as Word), MP4/video player, and Flash player (optional). Free downloadable software is available for each of these.