Carone Learning Category: Foundations
Subject: Physical Education
Recommended Grade Level: 6-8
Course Credit: 0.25 credits (2.5 units in CA)
Recommended Pre-Requisites: None
This course provides students with a basic understanding of fitness and nutrition. Students will learn about exercise safety, team and individual sports, nutrition, and the importance of staying active throughout their lifetime. Students conduct fitness assessments, set goals, develop their own fitness program, and participate in weekly physical activity.
Units & Tasks
This course is divided into the following Units and Sections.
- Course Introduction
- Unit 1: Team Sports
- 1.1 Intro to Team Sports
- 1.2 Game Strategy
- Unit 2: Soccer
- 2.1 Soccer Guidelines & Game Play
- 2.2 Soccer Skills
- Unit 3: Baseball & Softball
- 3.1 Baseball/Softball Guidelines & Game Play
- 3.2 Baseball/Softball Skills
- Unit 4: Volleyball
- 4.1 Volleyball Guidelines & Game Play
- 4.2 Volleyball Skills
Within each section students will find the following tasks to view or complete:
- Game Plan—an outline of tasks for that section
- Lesson—multimedia online lesson(s) about the section topic
- Sprint—links to other online sites with additional fitness information
- Team Huddle*—class discussion on an assigned topic
- Assignment/Sport Report*—section assignment or evaluation of a sport
- Quiz*—assessment of lesson comprehension
- Fitness Log*—a record of your workout sessions for each week
The items noted with an asterisk above are those that must be submitted for a grade.
Pacing There are 8 sections in this course. Each section is designed to be completed in about one week’s time. However, students may take more or less time as needed. A recommended pacing guide is provided within the course.
Exercise Requirements 6 weeks of exercise at 3 hours per week is required for this course. All fitness logs require at least ONE form of verification, which can be provided by a supervising adult, a MOVband device, or a Polar heart rate monitor.
Exercise Library This course includes complimentary access to Carone Learning’s Exercise Library, with pictures, videos, and descriptions of almost 300 exercises. The library is searchable by exercise type, muscle group, or equipment (including resistance bands, weights, exercise balls, or no equipment at all).
Parent & Teacher Guides Parent and teacher guides available.
Additional Materials There are no required textbooks or materials for this course. Access to exercise equipment is recommended, but not required. Some optional fitness tracking equipment is available through Carone Learning.