It’s summertime and exercising in the heat may be unavoidable. When exercising in the heat, it’s important to take proper precautions to prevent heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Below are some tips and hints for exercising in the heat.
- Stay hydrated! Be sure to drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after a workout.
- If exercising longer than an hour, or sweating excessively, consider re-hydrating with a sports drink that will also replenish lost electrolytes.
- Wear light weight, light colored clothing.
- Wear sunscreen. Even on overcast days you can get sunburned.
- Slow down. On hot days you may need to reduce your intensity in order to compensate for the heat.
- If necessary, find an alternative, such as changing your activity or exercising indoors.