There are Five Components of Fitness:
- Cardio: ability of your heart to sustain physical activity over time
- Muscular Strength: how much you can lift or move at one time
- Muscular Endurance: how long your muscles can sustain a contraction or activity
- Flexibility: how flexible your joints and muscles are
- Body Composition: % of body fat to lean body mass (bones, muscle, tissue)
To be wholly fit it is important to take into account all five areas of fitness when setting goals or choosing workouts. For example, if Jack regularly runs long distances but does not stretch, strength train, or eat well, he may have a higher level of cardiovascular fitness, but his overall fitness level may be poor.
Try to include all components of fitness for a well-rounded exercise and nutrition plan.