Fiber is the indigestible portion of plant food. Fiber is a nutrient that has a lot of health benefits, namely:
- Prevents health issues such as heart disease, some cancers, and digestive problems
- Increases feelings of fullness (which can help with weight loss)
- Can aid in lowering cholesterol
Snacks throughout the day are great for increasing your fiber. This week try a new, high fiber snack each day.
- Day 1: Eat a whole grain, unsweetened cereal with at least 4 grams of fiber a serving. Or mix it into your regular cereal.
- Day 2: Eat two apples today.
- Day 3: Take on container of yogurt and mix 1/3 cup All-bran cereal, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds, and 5 large, diced strawberries. This yummy yogurt mix gives you a whopping 12.2 grams of fiber- nearly half your daily allowance!
- Day 4: Dip baby carrots and broccoli florets into low-fat ranch dressing.
- Day 5: Snack on whole grain crackers.
- Day 6: Snack on a side salad with kidney beans or chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) on top.
- Day 7: Mix together peanuts, raisins, a high-fiber cereal like All-Bran, and some chocolate covered soy nuts.