There is one form of exercise that can be cheap, easy, and available. Running. All you need is a pair of tennis shoes and the open road, sidewalk, or trail. Running is a great calorie burner, can be done morning, day, evening, or night, and even begins right out your front door (no driving to the gym). Don’t be intimidated if you have never been a runner. Here are some easy guidelines to get you started.
- Head out for a 30 minute walk/run. If you walk the whole time, no problem, keep it at a brisk pace.
- The next time you head out for your 30 minute run/walk, run for 1 minute, then walk for 29 minutes.
- If you feel good while walking, run another minute or two, then walk. Slowly build up the number of minutes you are running.
- Pretty soon, you’ll be running the entire 30 minutes and loving it as well.
- Sign up for a local future 3K or 5K to give yourself something to accomplish at the end of your training.