If someone was to grade your posture, what grade would you receive? Having good posture during everyday situations is important. Poor posture can be the cause of a headaches, a stiff neck, sore back and shoulders, and tight legs, knees, and ankles. It can put strain on your joints and ligaments, and even lead to injury.
Think about your standing posture. For example, while you are waiting in line do you slump your shoulders? Lean on one leg? Arch your back? All these are common characteristics of poor posture.
To have proper posture while standing:
- Stand up straight and tall
- Lift your head from the crown, not the chin
- Place feet shoulder width apart
- Roll your shoulders down and back
- Distribute weight evenly across the balls and heels of your feet
- Tighten your abdominals and tuck in your gluteals