Feeling stressed, over-worked, too busy, or frazzled? Taking time out to relax is more than a luxury, it’s a necessary part of dealing with the rigors of life. Research shows too much stress can lead to lower immunities and none of us have time to be sick. We all need some time to unwind. By scheduling relaxation time into your day, you will find yourself refreshed and invigorated and ready to face your daily challenges.
Everyone relaxes in different ways, so find what works best for you. Here are a few ideas:
- Schedule time in your day to do NOTHING. Turn off all electronic devices and find a quiet place to sit, alone, with no interruptions. Just five or ten minutes can be effective.
- Practice slow deep breathing by closing your eyes and focusing only on your breath as you inhale and exhale.
- Take a quick break to stretch. You can do this anywhere.
- Practice “progressive relaxation” by tensing, then relaxing each muscle group.
- Plan fun and relaxing activities into your evenings and weekends so you have something to look forward to.