Are you a little intimidated when you think about strength training or walking into the “weight room land of testosterone”?
Here are a few suggestions and common mistakes.
- If you are not familiar with weight training, you can get one appointment with a personal trainer and have them show you a few lifts or machines to work on your major muscle groups. Many gym memberships offer this as part of your sign up fee.
- If you have access to a gym, go to the weight machines that will keep you in correct form in order to prevent incorrect posture and injury.
- Find a work out partner, especially one with experience or guidelines. Most people find it easier if they work out with someone else passionate about their health.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your peers.
- There are many online sources that can show you certain lifts for certain muscle groups (bodybuilding.com) is one of them.
- If you are somewhat familiar with free weights, make sure to lift your weights in front of a mirror and watch your movements in order to maintain the correct form and posture.