While the best way to ensure you are eating clean and healthy meals is to cook for yourself, sometimes it just isn’t an option. According to the USDA, 47.9% of all 2010 food dollars in the U.S. were spent on “away-from-home” foods.
Follow these tips to help you stick to your calorie budget when eating out:
- Review the menu online before you go and chose a healthy option.
- Ask the waiter to identify the healthiest menu items.
- Ask the waiter to remove the bread or chips from the table.
- Drink lots of water while you wait for your entree.
- Ask questions about how your meal is prepared, and don’t be afraid to make specific requests.
- Share a meal with your dining companion.
- Put half of your meal in a “to-go” box before you begin eating.