Staying hydrated throughout the day is very important, particularly when exercising regularly. Dehydration can increase fatigue and soreness, among other things.
Here are some tips for staying hydrated:
- Avoid caffeinated sodas. Caffeine is a diuretic—meaning it actually dehydrates you more.
- If you drink juice, read the label–many juices are only 10-15% juice. Try to stick to the 100% juices.
- Gatorade and sport drinks can replenish lost electrolytes. However, this is really only needed when exercising vigorously for more than an hour.
- If you are thirsty, it means you are already slightly dehydrated.
- Keep a water bottle handy to sip on throughout the day.
- Try to drink at least 6-8 glasses of fluid per day.
- Two cups of water = one pound. Every pound lost during a workout session represents fluids lost. Be sure to replace lost fluids!