Children and teens are spending more time than ever before with electronic devices. Many experts believe this is linked to the growing obesity rates among kids. Try some of these ideas for limiting screen time and adding to your family’s quality of life:
- Stop texting. Spend time in person with those you communicate with. Go for a walk or a bike ride and speak with each other.
- Limit video game time. Most game consoles have parental controls that can be set for a specific amount of time. When the time is up, the game turns off.
- Plan outdoor activities. Summer is here, and kids are out of school. Keep them busy with play dates, sports, and outdoor family excursions.
- Turn off the T.V. Decide ahead of time which television shows are a priority for your family, and keep the T.V. off at all other times.
- Limit computer time. Encourage kids to surf the web only when necessary for school or other needed information. Mindless surfing leads to inactivity.