It’s spring again, and after being cooped up inside for several months a breath of fresh spring air is invigorating. Getting outside to walk, run, or cycle on the street can be a great thing, but doing it in a safe way is essential.
Follow these tips to stay safe:
- Stay hydrated by drinking water before, during and after your workouts. Take water with you, or plan a route with stops where water is available.
- Be alert and aware of cars. If you are cycling, review the rules of the road and safety recommendations. If you are on foot, always face traffic, wear reflective clothing, and pay attention to your surroundings.
- Avoid air pollution. Get to a higher elevation if you live in a city with poor air quality. Check your local air quality index, and stay inside if it’s too risky.
- There is safety in numbers, so find a friend to exercise with you.
- Always tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return. Take a cell phone if possible.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen.
You can boost your mood and your heart rate by going outside to exercise. Plan ahead and protect yourself so you can enjoy the spring season for many workouts to come.